What Are My Rights as a Green Card Holder?

Green Card

Green card holders, otherwise known as legal permanent residents, can maintain resident status in the United States until they apply for and complete the naturalization process (to become citizens) or lose/abandon their status. While you remain a legal resident in the U.S., you will have both rights and responsibilities. Our Miami immigration attorneys explain the rights that protect green cardholders.

Your Rights as a Permanent Resident

Green card holders have rights that protect them in the U.S. Although they won’t have the privileges of a U.S. citizen, they can exercise their rights. Below we have put together the rights of a green card holder:

  • Green card holders have the right to live permanently in the United States if they don’t commit any actions that would make them removable under immigration law.
  • Green card holders also have the right to work in the United States at any legal job of their choice. However, some jobs are limited to U.S. citizens only for security reasons.
  • Green card holders also have the right to be protected by all U.S. laws, including state and local jurisdictions.

Your Responsibilities as a Permanent Resident

Aside from having rights as a green card holder, you also have responsibilities. As a permanent resident, you are required to:

  • Obey U.S. state and federal laws
  • File tax returns and report your income to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities
  • Support the democratic form of government (this doesn’t include voting since only citizens are allowed to vote)
  • Register with the Selective Service if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 25

If you want to obtain a green card so that you are protected by the rights listed above, you need the help of an experienced attorney. Contact our Miami immigration attorneys today at (305) 858-2323 to schedule a consultation!

Related Posts
  • Florida Immigration Hazards: Pitfalls to Avoid for a Smoother Process Read More
  • What Are Immigration Appeals? Read More
  • How to Help Your Child Become a U.S. Citizen Read More