Our office will be closed from December 22nd to January 1st due to the holiday season. We are looking forward to getting in touch with you on January 2nd upon our return.

What To Do If Your Visa Has Expired?

Being granted a visa gives foreign nationals a chance to visit the U.S. for a variety of different travel reasons. Whether you’re a student attending school or visiting family, overstaying your visa can have significant consequences and can be a sticky situation to resolve. If your immigration visa has expired, here are some ways you can rectify the situation.

What Happens if You Overstay Your Visa?

Both immigrant and nonimmigrant visas permits and individual to remain in the United States for a specific period of time. Staying past the visa expiration date puts you in unlawful immigration status. Depending on how long you overstay your visa, you could be banned from entering the United States from three to 10 years. As outlined by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you may be barred from entering the U.S.under the following circumstances:

  • You are not permitted to enter the U.S. for three years if you’ve overstayed your visa for more than 180 days but less than one year from the expiration date.
  • You are not permitted to enter the U.S. for ten years if you have overstayed your visa for one year or more.
  • You will be barred from entering the U.S. permanently if you have reentered or tried to reenter the U.S. without being permitted or paroled.

How an Immigration Waiver Can Help

An immigration waiver is a leniency that may be granted for certain immigration violations, including overstaying a visa. Applying for an immigration waiver can be a complicated process, and depending on the immigration violation, there are specific criteria that need to be met. To find out if you are eligible for an immigration waiver, contact an experienced immigration attorney to learn your rights.

Why Getting Legal Help for Expired Visas is Critical

Remaining in the U.S. with an expired visa has severe consequences. However, enlisting the help of a skilled immigration attorney can help you avoid being barred from reentering the U.S. in the future.

If you or a loved one needs help with an expired visa or any other immigration matter, we can help. Contact Revilla Law Firm, P.A. today at (305) 858-2323 to learn more about how we can get your immigration matter settled timely.