Our office will be closed from December 22nd to January 1st due to the holiday season. We are looking forward to getting in touch with you on January 2nd upon our return.

What Type of Visa Am I Eligible For?

Did you know that there are over 185 different types of immigration visas? While the number may seem overwhelming to sort through, it’s not difficult to find out which kind of visa will fit your immigration situation. From employment-based visas to family-sponsored visas, here’s what you need to know.

Understanding the Difference Between Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas

There are two categories in which U.S. visas fall under — immigrant and nonimmigrant. Here’s how each one works:

Immigrant Visa

An immigrant visa is issued by the U.S. government for individuals who were born outside of the United States, but wish to live and work in the country permanently. To be considered for an immigrant visa, you must be sponsored by an employer or family member who is based in the United States. Individuals with an immigrant visa will have the same rights and privileges as a U.S. citizen.

Nonimmigrant Visa

Nonimmigrant visas are issued temporarily and will have a specific period in which a foreign national is permitted to remain in the United States. Travel purposes for a nonimmigrant visa may include but are not limited to the following:

  • Business
  • Tourism
  • School
  • Medical treatments

Most Common Types of Visas

Some of the most common types of visas that foreign nationals apply for are:

  • Nonimmigrant Visas

    • H-1B - Work visa
    • O-1 - Entrepreneur visa
    • E- Investor visa
    • B1 and B2 - Business and Tourism visas
  • Immigrant Visas

    • K-1 - Fiancé visa to marry a U.S. citizen
    • IR1, CR1 - Spouse of a U.S. citizen visas
    • V- visa for spouses and unmarried children under 21 of green card holders
    • E-1 - Employment-based visa

What Happens If Your Visa Expires?

Overstaying your visa can have inevitable consequences and can be a complicated situation to resolve. The following are the standard penalties for overstaying your visa:

  • If you overstay your visa for more than 180 days, but less than 1 year from the visa expiration date, you may not be permitted to return to the United States for three years beginning from the time you departed the U.S.
  • If you overstay your visa for one year or more, you may not be permitted to return to the U.S. for 10 years starting from the date you left the U.S.

When it comes to immigration matters, you want to ensure that your case is handled with experience and care. If you or a loved one needs assistance with a visa, Contact Revilla Law Firm, P.A. today at (305) 858-2323 to get started.