What You Need to Know About P-1 Visas


P-1 visas are for individual/team athletes or members of an entertainment group. If you want to apply for a P-1 visa, you need to be an athlete at an internationally recognized level of performance or be part of a group or team that is internationally recognized. Coaching staff or support personnel of athletes or entertainers can also apply for a P-1 visa. Our Miami immigration attorneys explain what you need to know about a P-1 visa before applying.

P-1 Visa: Athletes & Entertainment

If you want to apply for a P-1 visa, it is important to understand the visa’s duration. The P-1 visa is typically based on the planned performance or competition schedule. The maximum allowed stay is up to five years. However, it can be extended up to a maximum of ten years. P-1 visa holders are permitted to undertake part-time studying while in the United States. They may also travel freely inside and outside the U.S. while their visa is in effect.

If you want your family to accompany you while traveling to the United States, they can do so with a P-4 visa. Spouses and minor children (unmarried children under the age of 21) may accompany or visit you during your stay. However, your spouse won’t be allowed to work with a P-4 visa.

If you decide that you want to become a legal permanent resident (LPR) in the United States, you can apply for an Adjustment of Status and seek permanent residency while under a P-1 visa.

Miami Immigration Attorneys

If you want to apply for a P-1 visa or adjust your status, our team at Revilla Law Firm, P.A. is here to help you. For over 26 years, our Miami immigration attorneys have helped thousands of individuals and families obtain a visa and obtain a green card. We are known for representing clients on all immigration issues and have the experience and willingness to handle even the most difficult cases.

Call our Miami immigration lawyers today at (305) 858-2323 to schedule a case review!

Related Posts
  • Florida Immigration Hazards: Pitfalls to Avoid for a Smoother Process Read More
  • What Are Immigration Appeals? Read More
  • How to Help Your Child Become a U.S. Citizen Read More